Summer is in full swing and for me that means being outside, active and also swimsuit season. Eating healthy isn’t for everyone, but adding one healthy snack to your arsenal can be a great way to change your eating habits and get you on the right track. My summer is filled with day trips to the beach and hiking and having a healthy snack on hand gives me sustained energy throughout the day.
Trail mix is a combination of healthy snack items mixed together to provide fuel when you need it. It can also be a fun healthy snack while on the go or give you energy while exercising or hiking. Preparing trail mix at home couldn’t be simpler and it’s a great way to have control over the quality of foods you put in your body.
Gourmet Trail Mix
½ cup roasted almonds
½ cup pistachios
½ cup macadamia nuts
½ cup toasted pecans
½ cup roasted cashews
¼ cup flax seed
1 cup dark chocolate covered dried blueberries
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup dried cranberries
1-cup banana chips
½ t cinnamon
¼ t kosher salt
1 t olive oil
1 T honey
• Place nuts and flax seeds in a large mixing bowl, toss with honey, olive oil, salt, and cinnamon
• Pour onto a sheet pan and bake in a 300-degree oven for 10 minutes.
• Toast in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
• Take them out and let cool till they are room temperature.
• Add your dried fruits to the mixing bowl.
• When everything is cool, add them together in a mixing bowl.
• Mix everything together to combine and serve.
• You can bag this Trail mix in small plastic bags and in ½ cup servings and eat them during the week as snacks or package and give as gifts.
This combination of cinnamon and honey adds a nice sweet and spiced flavor while also giving you powerful protein from the nuts and heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids from the flax seed. Also making your own trail mix at home helps you control what is in it and you can make it in batches so you only make what you will eat for the week. On the other hand this mix is so good there won’t be any left over!
So go out and be active this summer, and keep yourself energized with healthy snacks, and try this Gourmet Trail Mix.
Gallagher is also a freelance caterer, private chef, and graduate of The Culinary Institute of America. His grandmother was a cook and inspired him at a very young age to pursue a culinary career. Gallagher’s passion is nutrition as well as teaching others how to lead a healthy lifestyle full of not only nutritious, but also delicious food. Contact Sean directly with any questions or comments at Chef.firstname.lastname@example.org. This writer may have been given product and/or other compensation from Dean & DeLuca for this post.